Heating System Services for Winter
The air coming out of your vehicle’s vents will always be cold when you first start your car in the winter, but if your vehicle never warms up regardless of how long you drive, any number of things could be the cause. Irrespective of what’s causing your frigid commute, the experts at Carfix in Raleigh and Garner, NC can find and fix the problem.
Let’s look at some of the heating system services for winter offered by Carfix.
What Causes the Heat to Stop Working in a Car?
If your vehicle blows cold air when the heat is on, you could have a problem with your coolant, heater, or water pump.
Coolant is a mixture of water and antifreeze that goes to your engine and heating system. If your vehicle is low on coolant, all the coolant gets shifted to the engine. Similarly, if your engine’s water pump isn’t recirculating coolant to the radiator, you will not get enough power to your heater.
Other common causes of heater problems include:
- Bad blower motor that prevents heated air from reaching your vehicle’s cabin
- Stuck or broken thermostat that doesn’t tell the heater to turn on
- Damaged HVAC controls or valves that are damaged or get stuck
- Bad heater core due to holes or blocked coolant hoses
Signs of a Bad Heater Core
Usually situated behind your dashboard vents, the heater core is a small radiator-like device. Coolant enters the core, absorbs heat, then warms up the air blowing into your vehicle. Here are some indications that your heater core may be the problem:
- Your vehicle overheats. If you’re stranded on the side of the road with steam coming from under the hood, it’s likely the result of a blocked heater core causing your engine to overheat.
- Your cabin fogs up after warming up. Coolant going through a bad heater core doesn’t warm up, causing the air blowing in your vehicle to cool down. In a cabin that’s already warm, this will cause condensation to form on your windows.
- Your heater blows cold air. A damaged heater core prevents heat transfer.
- Your coolant level drops, indicating a leak and creating a risk of overheating.
- Your vehicle smells bitter or fruity. A radiator or heater core leak may cause bitter or fruity odors in or around your car.
Get Heating System Services for Winter in Raleigh or Garner, NC
If you’re getting the cold shoulder from your vehicle, schedule an appointment at Carfix today. We have locations in Raleigh and Garner, North Carolina to serve you. Our professional mechanics will find the problem with your heating system, then provide you with your options for fixing the issue in a way that works for your budget. Why choose Carfix? We’re family-owned, offer an industry-leading 5-year/50,000-mile warranty on repairs and services, and offer financing options for up to $5000 for those unexpected extensive repairs. Find your nearest location and make an appointment today.